Saturday 7 February 2015

Sad news

Some of you lovely followers out there will probably be aware that our poor old Jessie dog has not been too well of late. At sixteen she was almost blind, pretty much deaf and struggling very much with her back legs. Yesterday it all became too much and the decision was made to have her quietly put to sleep. It was a decision I'd been dreading but we've known for the last few months that things were getting worse and there was a sudden nosedive this week. 

Today I've had a quiet day. Not working on Fridays, I decided to stay close to home and found myself on auto pilot - cleaning, washing, and generally trying to keep myself busy.

 But it was hard. 

Jessie used to follow me everywhere - she had no manners with regard to following me and staring whilst I visited the bathroom! I found myself automatically stepping over where her bed had been, and saving her some crusts from my sandwiches. When I answered the door earlier I automatically put my hand out to hold her collar. It's going to take some time to get used to.

But I have some lovely memories.

We 'rescued' her from a dogs home when she was six months old. She had a strong sense of wanderlust and would often take herself off on an adventure while our backs were turned. She sometimes got returned by complete strangers looking very pleased with herself. It was as though she'd found some new friends and was very glad to introduce us! She was picked up by the police and spent a night in the cells when they went off duty, she visited various offices on the local industrial estate, and once even made it across quite a busy dual carriageway to be found in the kitchen of a popular restaurant. On several occasions we would have a call from our local dvd store whose automatic doors would generously allow her entrance - 'Hi there - we've got Jessie here again - don't rush!'
And of course whenever she was returned people would say the same thing, usually along the lines of 'Oh but she's so lovely - and she does enjoy a custard cream!'

She adored our girls and put up with many years of being snuggled and squeezed by gaggles of toddlers.

When we had fourteen ducklings hatch in our garden she would lie there patiently while they waddled around and over her on the way to our little pond. And Ned rabbit could often be found stretched out next to her in a sunny patch of grass.

She really had the sweetest nature and gave us years of unconditional devotion.

She was gentle, loving and fun.

And we will miss her.


Jane

xxx

30 comments :

  1. Oh darling jane....my, heart is weeping with yours...so sad but what a lovely life you have had with her....and what lovely memories too.
    so sorry but sending much love your way.......XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear your sad news - it sounds like she had a very happy life with you and that you have some lovely memories of your time together - hugs from me xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you did the best thing for Jessie and that she had a lovely life with you all... but still it is aways hard to say goodbye.. sending hugs Cass x

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear your bad news.I know exactly what you are going through.Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so very sorry. I know how sad you're feeling. It sounds like she was such a wonderful little friend. Keep thinking of all the happy times even though your heart is broken. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so very sorry. I know how sad you're feeling. It sounds like she was such a wonderful little friend. Keep thinking of all the happy times even though your heart is broken. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry, it is just one of the hardest things to say goodbye to such a big part of your family. Sending you all my sympathy.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What sad news :(

    I'm sure you made the best decision for Jessie though and what a lovely life she's had with your family for all these years. I think we'll be in this situation with my mum's dog in the not too distant future... she's a westie, nearly 15 years old and we've had her since she was a few weeks old.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry to read this Jane, it is a huge hole to fill. Every day I think of my Coco and that one day soon we may have to make a decision before the pain becomes too much. It is the hardest decision but being so close to our furry babies we know when enough is enough don't we? I am sending you hugs to you and your family x

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry to hear about your sad loss Jane. Jessie sounded like a real character and she obviously had a long and happy life with your family.
    Thinking of you.
    Jacquie xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry, you must miss her so very much. She sounds like the sweetest of doggies, you were very lucky to have found each other. You're in my thoughts, and I'm sending a big cyber hug. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Feeling so sad for you all, it's really hard to have to say goodbye to a furry daughter, but your post is a lovely tribute to Jessie-dog which made me both shed a wee tear and smile at all her adventures. Lovely memories to treasure, and how blessed you each were to love & be loved for so long.
    Thinking of you,
    Love & hugs, G xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Jane
    So sorry to hear your news. It is never an easy decision to make and they do leave such a huge hole.
    Sending lots of sympathy.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sending you hugs. Such a sad time for you. Jessie looks like a beautiful dog. We have a rescue dog Kermit who looks like Jessie but a different colouring. He is 15 now, deaf, a bit blind and had a major operation on his back a year ago. He is now not allowed to be taken for walks on the lead because of it pulling on his back which is full of metal. But he is very lively and runs around on our field in the back. I know it will only be a matter of time. But like Jessie who gave you great times and you giving her your love and a home . it has been worth it because they make our lives complete. Jessie will be forever in her heart.
    Rosezeeta.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Jane, I am so sorry. As you know my blog is very much attached to my pet and I dread the day. I've gone through this before and have found that the next one is even more spoiled and much more endeared, harder for us in the end yet filled with such endless love. Unfortunately for us the attachment gets deeper. She was loved and nurtured, big hug.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such sad news, my thoughts are with you. You have written a lovely tribute to your wonderful Jessie. Take carexx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Goodness my eyes filled up as I read your post. What very sad news, but what lovely memories.
    Twiggy

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely tribute to a much loved pet. Jessie sounds quite a character, she will be much missed but never forgotten. So sorry Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about Jessie. Pets are with us for such a short time but leave a huge hole behind when they go. That's a lovely picture you've posted of her, she looks as if she's enjoyed life to the full and sixteen is a very good age. I'm glad you have so many good memories xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sorry, sending you a BIG HUG and Love too
    Sue xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very sorry about Jessie. They do fill our lives, but as sad as it is,you have to do the best for the animals in your care x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh Jane. I am so sorry for you. Jessie sounds as though she was a great friend and companion and a very happy dog who you will have great memories of. xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. This made me cry for you Jane. Our furry friends a key part of our family and making the painful decision to release them from pain is our final gift to them, but it hurts like hell. Take good care of yourself xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm so sorry to hear your sad news. It's so hard when we lose a pet, they do have a way of worming their way in to our hearts and they leave such a huge hole when they're no longer with us. I think we know when it's time to let them go and by doing so, you're showing your love in such an unselfish way. You have some wonderful memories of Jessie, your post made me smile as well as bringing tears to my eyes. Sending lots of hugs to you all xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. That's very sad news indeed about Jessie.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Poor house! She sounds like a lovely dog, and quite a character! What lovely memories you'll have to treasure x

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm so sorry, Jane. Jessie was a sweet and loving friend.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm so sorry, Jane. Hugs to all of you. :o(

    ReplyDelete
  29. I was reading your next newer post and had to come back and see what had happened. Always hard when we lose a pet. I cried even when my daughters first hamster died ... "Chester". He was a real sweetie. Your dog Jessie sounds like a character in a movie with her ramblings and easy way of making friends. It does feel like a part of you is missing when the dog parts, but you have so many memories of their lives with you. Take care Jane, and I hope you feel better soon. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh Jane, I'm sorry to hear your sad news. We had to make the same decision last year with our Millie and I still feel a bit tearful when I think of her, but like Millie it sounds as though Jessie had a long and happy life, which is what we all want for our pets and you have some wonderful memories that will always be with you. I hope you feel better soon. Take care, Jane xx

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments - they are appreciated sooooo much. Thanks for making my day xxx